Thursday, September 20, 2007

Bottle talk



Is it just me or did anyone else not know about this issue of bottles leaching chemicals?

The gist:

"Whether the animal studies translate to humans is a matter of intense debate. But in early August a federal panel of scientists concluded that there is "some concern" that BPA could pose some risk to the brain development of fetuses, infants or children.

Meanwhile, an independent group of BPA researchers issued their own warning in the journal Reproductive Toxicology: Very low levels of exposure to the chemical can potentially pose adverse health effects, especially to a fetus.

That was more than I needed to switch from Avent bottles, which have been shown to have high leaching rates, to glass. "

Guess who was using Avent??? Me! Of course I did so thinking that it was the best choice in regard to colic and overall health, being as close to BFing as possible. Quinn rarely used a bottle and really only BF directly so I am not so worried about what harm might have been done. The babies now frequently get bottles of pumped milk (and sometimes preemie formula since I need to supplement some now). I have officially made the switch to some glass (which are not so easy to find) and also Adiri bottles.



I love the Adiri Natural Nurser. It really is very breast-like and the babies have taken to it just fine. I was afraid they would refuse being as they were accustomed to Avent, but no problems from any of them. I personally feel it is more like BFing than Avent it. Yes, they are of course a bit more expensive, but in the end it is worth it to me if by chance I do prevent chemical uptake in their tiny bodies.

They have plenty of time to pump their bodies full of chemicals in their adult lives, but not under my watch.

Comment:
Overwhelming body of scientific evidence shows BPA is safe...

Response:
The reality is that there is a significant body of scientific research that establishes, beyond any doubt, that bisphenol A is highly estrogenic. In other words, it binds with the estrogen receptor and has the capacity to stimulate estrogenic responses. This means that it is biologically active and therefore not "totally safe." Moreover, there are a series of animal studies in the last 5 years that show that bisphenol A actually does lead to developmental abnormalities in laboratory animals at low levels of exposure. This also directly contradicts their assertion that it is totally safe.

3 Comments:

At 8:07 AM , Blogger kristine said...

I actually didn't know until I was reading about the Adiri Natural Nurser bottles. So you do use them and like them, huh? Have you found any in stores or just online? I am curious....

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Kerry said...

Hey Kristine,
Don't know if you will check back or not, but I am using the Adiri. I ended up buying them directly from their site as I couldn't find them anywhere around here. Maybe they are somewhere, but I couldn't find them and didn't want to call a million places. The babies have really taken to them and I think Quinn in a bit obsessed with them as well; they feel pretty realistic! As long as he doesn't start wanting a bottle again I am fine with it:)

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger Emilie said...

I've been worried about the BPA issue, too, and although we use Dr. Brown's bottles (which are on the "bad" list), we don't put them in the microwave to heat up D.'s milk.

For the next baby, I think I might check out those Adiri bottles -- thanks for sharing about them. I had been looking at some glass ones, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home