Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Rub me raw

I finally got around to using the spa gift certificate Eddy and Quinn got me for Mother's Day. Actually I probably would have used it sooner it my mother hadn't been involved. We got her a gift certificate for MD as well and she wanted to wait until my sister and 3 kids left town; she figured she would need a massage by then. So I make our appointments (for separate rooms- we are close but not that close) for a Saturday afternoon and look forward to my 90 minute deep tissue massage all week long. The spa is very nice and professional and not too new-agey for me.

You think I would just be able to lay there for 90 minutes and enjoy myself???

No!

I always lay there feeling guilty that someone is giving me a massage. What kind of moron am I? I can't just completely let go and enjoy it. It was wonderful though; my lady was very good and really got into it with her elbows, etc. I like it when the massage hurts a bit; I feel like I am getting my money's worth. Do I want another massage? You bet. Will I completely enjoy it? Never.

6 Comments:

At 10:04 AM , Blogger LutherLiz said...

I'm completely the same way. I took an hour off this morning and read a book for a while and ended up feeling completely guilty that I had. It's like you can't win.

However, I am certain that you deserved it and I hope it was still a wonderful thing.

P.S. We had a great time at Quinn's party!

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger EDH said...

Ha - it's funny you posted about this b/c I just had a massage this weekend (a post-bar exam gift!) and while it was wonderful, I fretted the whole time about how dumb I sounded when I walked in. (I had gotten lost finding the place and when I came in, I was tripping all over my words and sounding ridiculous, and I couldn't get myself to relax after that.) Gah!

Wish we could have made it for Quinn's bday! :(

 
At 8:30 AM , Blogger Emilie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:20 AM , Blogger Emilie said...

Hmm ... I've never felt guilty about getting a massage — the health benefits alone make me feel OK with it — but I do sometimes feel guilty about spending the money! Oh, how I wish health insurance covered them. :)

(Sorry ... that was my delete above.)

 
At 11:02 AM , Blogger Barbara Marincel said...

Hmm, I have the same feelings sometimes. But I sort of see doing things like that as caring for yourself as you would a dear friend, which you certainly deserve. You've been through so much, what with losing the baby and everything, that you need to be extra kind to yourself, sweetie. (Okay so much for the unprofessional advice.)

I'm getting massage/myofascial release as part of my physical therapy, and I wasn't able to relax until I started thinking about how much my poor muscles were hurting, and thinking of it as a way to be kind to them for a change. :)

 
At 2:00 PM , Blogger Barbara Marincel said...

P.S. I read your comment on my blog and want to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers every day, too! I should also mention that I admire you for the grace and courage with which you have handled/are handling the crap that you've had to deal with.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home